Several concrete ways for civil society and the private sphere to become involved
Would you like to spend time helping refugees? Here is a non-exhaustive list of options:
- Caritas International helps victims of war, natural disasters and poverty. It supports migrants by offering a human and individual response to their migration journey. Contact Caritas to volunteer in a reception centre or for activities concerning the integration and housing of refugees
- The not-for-profit association Ciré seeks to reinforce the rights of foreigners, the right to asylum and ensure that the policies in force comply with the principles of the Declaration of the Rights of Man through political action, raising public awareness and multiple actions (refugee reception service, French school, information service). This not-for-profit association offers several alternatives as a volunteer, including sponsorship of asylum seekers in individual housing to facilitate their integration (in partnership with the King Baudouin Foundation)
- The not-for-profit association Convivial supports refugees, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and asylum seekers throughout their integration, from getting them settled to their social and socio-professional integration in Belgium. You can join them as a volunteer in a series of initiatives
- The Belgian Red Cross offers several reception services for refugees and trains volunteers for some of their activities
- Vluchtelingenwerk is devoted to and defends the rights of people fleeing war, violence and persecution in their country, through their team and an active network of volunteers. The association provides a list of the many opportunities to volunteer depending on how much time you have
- Duo for Job puts young refugees actively looking for work in contact with people over 50 years old, so that the latter can support them in their job search
- The Fedasil centres offer volunteers the chance to participate in the organisation of the centres and its activities
- Contact your commune to find out about local initiatives
Do you have accommodation to temporarily house a refugee?
- Contact Fedasil, the Belgian Red Cross, Vluchtelingenwerk or Ciré to see if your accommodation would be suitable as an individual housing unit (subsidised)
- Contact Caritas which is conducting a campaign for 10,000 temporary homes for refugees: or SafeSpace which puts homeowners in contact with refugees
Do have money to lend or donate?
Offer the not-for-profit association Convivial's loan fund a no-interest loan to allow refugees to pay for a rental deposit for their first home
- Make a donation to a not-for-profit organisation (Red Cross Belgium, Ciré ASBL, Vluchtelingenwerk, Caritas International)
Are you a private organisation who would like to facilitate the professional integration of refugees?
- Contact Vluchtelingenwerk to become a beta tester for the hiapp.be app to put refugees in contact with the labour market
- Contact one of the abovementioned associations for their "companies" programme